Ever since my dad took me to Great Harvest Bread Company in San Antonio, I have been obsessed with energy breads. If you haven’t tried their’s, you are missing out! This is an easy breadmachine recipe I was playing around with yesterday.
- 1 ¾ cup whole wheat flour (I like King Arthur)
- 1 ¼ cup bread flour
- 1 ¼ tsp active dry yeast (I used bread machine yeast)
- 1 1/8 cup warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup Agave nectar
- 2 Tbsp melted unsalted butter
- ¼ cup Almond oil
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup flax (I like Uncle Sams cereal)
- Oatmeal for sprinkling on top
- Add the dry ingredients (including the yeast) into the bread machine container.
- Add the wet ingredients on top of the dry ingredients. Make sure the water and melted butter are not warmer than 100F or you can kill the yeast. It does need to be warm so that you do not “shock” the yeast.
- If you are making dough, turn the machine on the dough cycle. If you are baking it in the machine, place it on the 1lb/light/wheat bread cycle.
- When dough is ready, punch down (not too much or your dough can get gooey and have tunnels), and allow to proof in an airtight bowl covered in plastic wrap. I also cover mine with a towel to prevent light from getting in. Dough should proof for 30 min.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a loaf pan with non-stick olive oil spray.
- When dough is ready, place dough in loaf pan and cook for 40-45 min. Sprinkle with oatmeal, if you’d like. The bread is ready when you see a golden brown coloring.
- Serve warm! This recipe is so yummy that you do not need butter, jam, or any sweetener–it’s great by itself!
Nutrition Info (per slice)- Makes 1lb or 16 slices
Calories 149, Fat 5.7g, Sat fat 1.3g, Chol 3.8mg, Sodium 148.3mg, Carb 21.7g, Sugar 4.1g, Fiber 2.8g, Protein 3.5g
*This is a healthy adaptation from the “Honey Whole Wheat Bread Recipe” on Allrecipes.com by Kathy Nowell. This is a GREAT afternoon snack. Keep in mind that oven temp and cooking time might change, according to your location’s atmospheric elevation.